Sunday, March 8, 2009

A special weekend....




It was exactly one year ago this weekend that I flew to Guatemala and met and held my sweet little girl ! I will never forget seeing her foster mother walk across the hotel lobby with her all bundled in layers of pink blankets. She was wet with sweat when they finally got all the layers removed and she was just like a little angel. I remember well that I didn't want to get on that airplane without her...though I could tell from my visit she was in perfectly good hands with a foster family who loved her more than anything....and I remember well how much I missed my family at home. I remember feeling excited when I saw my boys and husband waiting for me at the airport...but so disappointed that Ella was not with us yet. I remember the rumors surrounding the completion of the few adoption cases that lay in limbo kept my stomach in knots for the next four months until we finally received that long awaited call that it was time to get our daughter. We feel so incredibly blessed to have been one of the last families to bring home a child from this beautiful country. We truly hope and pray that the Guatemalan adoption system will soon again be open and other families are able to share with us the joy of building their family through the miracle of adoption !